AbstractIn this paper, a method to determine the slope angle for seasonal applications of flat plate collectors is described for the Philippines territory. For seasonal applications, where the collectors are used only for a fraction of the year, the slope angles need to be different from those for year-round operations. For year-round operations, most flat collectors are usually fixed, and mounted at an angle equal to the latitude tilt angle. The method described here utilized both direct and diffuse components of solar radiation, and air mass using average atmosphere. For seasonal applications of solar energy such as crop drying, the optimum slope angle can be found conveniently and accurately by this method
• Duffie J. A. and Beckman W. A. 1991. Solar Engineering of Thermal Processes, 2nd Ed., John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, 13-19, 91-94.
• Dunn P.D. 1986. Renewable Energies: Sources, Conversion and Application, Heffers Printers Ltd., Cambridge, 174-175.
• Plante R. H. 1983. Solar Domestic Hot Water: A Practical Guide to Installation and Understanding, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 140-141.
• Bairi A. 1990. Method of quick determination of the angle of slope and the orientation of solar collectors without a sun tracking system, Solar & Wind Technology, 7(2/3), 327-330.
• Bari S. 2000. Optimum slope angle and orientation of solar collectors for different periods of possible utilization, Energy Conversion and Management, 41(8), 855-860.
• Bird R. E. and Hulstrom R. L. 1981. A simplified clear-sky model for the direct and diffuse insolation on horizontal surfaces. US(SERI Technical Report, Golden, Colorado, 642-761.
• Iqbal M. 1983. An introduction to solar radiation, Academic Press, Toronto.
• Hamdan M. A and Kakish B. A. 1995. Solar radiation attenuation caused by atmospheric pollution, Energy Conversion and Management, 36(2), 121-124.
• Wenxian L., Enrong L., Wenfeng G., Shaoxuan P. and Tao L. 1996. Distribution patterns of diffuse solar radiation in Yunnan province, China. Energy Conversion and Management, 37(5), 553-560.
• Culp A. W. 1991. Principles of Energy Conversion. 2nd. Ed., McGraw(Hill, Inc., Singapore, 103-104.
• Liu B. Y. H. and Jordan R. C. 1960. The interrelationship and characteristic
• distribution of direct, diffuse and total solar radiation, Solar Energy, 4 (3), 1-10.
• Venkatesh A. 1994. Experimental observations on a continuous flow type domestic solar water heater, Energy Conversion and Management, 35(12), 1041-1048.
• Sayigh A. A. M. 1977. Solar energy engineering, Academic Press, New York.