This article described the use of zinc-dithizonate for spectrophotometric determination of Hg(II) in aqueous environment. Zinc dithizonate was found to react selectively with Hg(II) to give a reddish yellow complex with optimum absorbance at pH 1.0. This complex was found to be useful for spectrophotometric determination of aqueous Hg(II) in the concentration range of 1.0 - 12.0 ppm. This method was also found to be reproducible with calculated relative standard deviation, RSD of 1.08%. At 1:1 mole ratio, interfering ions such as CH COO·, Pb2+ and Ag+ were found to interfere at degree 3 of interference of more than 10.0%.
• Fergusson F.E., 1982, Inorganic Chemistry and the Earth: Chemical Resources, Their Extraction, Use of Environmental Impact, Pergamon Series on Environmental Science (Vol: 6), United Kingdom: Vergamon Press.
• Mason R.P.; J.R.Reinfelder, F.M.M. Morel, 1995, Water Air Soil Pollut., 80, 915.
• Miessler G.A. and Tarr D.A., 1991, Inorganic Chemistry, USA, Prentice Hall Inc.
• American Society for Testing and Materials, Annual Book of ASTM Standard Part 31 (water), 1981, Philadelphia.
• M. Stoeppler (Ed.), Techniques and Instrumentation in Analytical Chemistry, vol. 12, Hazardous Metals in the Environment, Elsevier, Amsterdam, 1992.
• Peraniemi S. and M. Ahlgren, 1995, Optimized Arsenic, Selenium and Mercury Determination inAqueous Solutions by Energy Dispersive X-Ray Fluorescence After Preconcentration onto Zirconium-Loaded Activated Charcoal, Anal. Chim. Acta., 302(1), 89-95.
• Yixiang D., Xiaoguang D. and J. Qinhan, 1994, Comparative Studies of Surfatron and Microwave Plasma Torch Sources for Determination of Mercury by Atomic Emission Spectrometry, J. of Anal. Atomic Spectrometry, 9(5), 629-633.
• Aggarwal S.K; M.Kinter and D.A. Herold, 1994, Mercury Determination in Blood by Gas Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry, Biological Trace Element Research, 41(1-2), 89-102.
• Segura-Carretero A.; J.M. Costa-Fernandez; R. Pereiro and A. Sandez-Medel, 1999, Low-Level Mercury Determination with Thiamine by Fluorescence Optosensing, Talanta, 49 , 907-913.
• Yu J.C., B. Zhang and Y-K Lai, 2000, Direct Determination of Mercury in Atmospheric Particulate Matter by Graphite Plate Filtration-Electrothermal Atomic Absorption Spectrometry with Zeeman Background Correction, Spectrochimica Acta Part B: Atomic Spectroscopy, 55(4), 395-402.
• Snell J.P, E. Bjorn and F.Wolfgang, 2000, Investigation of Errors Introduced by the Species Distribution of M ercury in Organic Solutions on Total M ercu ry Determination by Electrothermal Vaporisation-Inductively Coupled Plasma Mass Spectrometry, Journal of Analytical Atomic Spectrometry, 15(4), 397-402.
• M azl ou m M . , A mini M .K. and I.M . B altork , 2000, M erc ury S e l ec tiv e M embra ne Ele ctrod e s Usi ng 2 - M ercaptob enz imid az ol e, 2-M ercaptobenzothia zole and Hexathiacyclooctadecane Carriers, Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, 63(1-2), 80-85.
• Sandell E.B. and Onishi H., 1978, Photometric Determination of Traces of Metals Part I , New York: A Wiley-Interscience Publication.
• Ueno K., Yano T. and Kojima T., 1972, The Analytical Application of Organic Reagents in Hydrophobic Gel Media, Anal. Lett., 5(7), 439-444.
• De A.K., Khopkar S.M. and Chalmers R.A., 1970, Solvent Extraction of Metals,
London: Van Nostrand Reinhold Co.
• Lee Y.K., Whang K.J. and Ueno K., 1975, Simple Semiquantitative Determination of Trace Metal Ions by Use of Reagent Gel Column- I : Determination of Mercury with Dithizone Gel, Talanta, 22, 535-538.
• Sekizuka Y., Kojima T., Yano T. and Ueno K., 1973, Analytical Application of Organic Reagents in Hydrophobic Gel Media ( I ): General Principle and the Use of Dithizane, Talanta, 20, 979 - 985.
• Braun B. and Farag A.B., 1974, Plasticized Open-Cell Polyurethane Foam as a Universal Matrixfor Organic Reagents in Trace Element Preconcentration-Part I : Collection of Silver Traces on Dithizone Foam, Anal. Chim. Acta, 69, 85-96.
• A hmad M., Ham zah H.H. and Marsom E.S., 1998, The De velopme nt of H g ( Ii) F ibre Opti c S enso r fo r Aq ueous En v ironmenta l M onitoring , Tal anta, 47(2) , 275-283.
• Shugar G.J., Shugar R.A., Bauman L., Shugar-Bauman R., 1981, Chemical Technicians Ready Reference Handbook, 2nd. Ed., New York, Mc Graw-Hill Book Co.
• Burger K., I973, Organic Reagents in Metal Analysis, Oxford: Pergamon Press.
• Spevackova V. and Krivanek M., 1970, Dithizone as a Stationary Phase in Reversed Phase Chromatography Used in Activation Analysis, Proc. Anal. Chem. Conf., Budapest Hungary, 121 - 126.
• Zaporozhets 0., N.Petruniock and V. Sukhan, 1999, Determination of Ag(!), Hg( Il) and Pb( II) by Using Silica Gel Loaded with Dithizone and Zinc Dithizanate, Talanta, 50, 865 - 873.
• Mawby A. and Irving H.M.M.H., 1971, The crystal Structure of Primary Zinc( Il) Dithizonate and its Relevance to Stabilities of its o- and p-Methyl Derivatives, Anal. Chim. Acta, 55, 269-272.
• Grant R. and Grant C. (eds), 1987, Grant and Hackhs Chemical Dictionary, 5th. Ed., New York, Mc Graw-Hill Book Company.
• Cotton F.A. and Wil kinson G., 1972, Ad vanced Inorganic Chemistry: A Comprehensive Text, 3rd ed., Interscience Publisher, New York.
• Pribil R., 1972, Analytical Applications of EDTA and Related Compounds (International Series of Monograph in Analytical Chemistry-Vol 52), Pergamon Press, New York.